Subject: replace C for systems programming! (was: gcc optimizer bug in netbsd-1-6 on alpha (gcc 2.95.3 20010315 (release) (NetBSD nb3)))
To: Greywolf <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/16/2003 20:35:56
[ On Friday, August 15, 2003 at 17:44:13 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: gcc optimizer bug in netbsd-1-6 on alpha (gcc 2.95.3 20010315  (release) (NetBSD nb3))
> Thus spake Nathan J. Williams ("NJW> ") sometime Today...
> NJW> We should be working on abolishing C, not justifying it.
> <boggle>
>  I can't believe I'm reading this.  Show of hands, please, as
> to how on target this is?  I'm leaving mine down, as I cannot see
> this to be a particularly useful concept!  Abolish C?  Really?  And
> nail everything into a very tightly defined structure that takes longer
> to parse, align, code-generate and (probably) learn?!?

Count me on the "Abolish C A.S.A.P.!!!!" side.  :-/

(I keep planning on trying out Cyclone as a possible replacement....)

> My question stands:  What is SO WRONG with C that it should, as you have
> put it, "be buried in an unmarked grave at midnight"?  I seek enlightenment!

some hints here, especially in the first paper referenced:

(Of course I'm not willing to bury C until _after_ they bury C++.  It
just has to go first!  :-)

						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <>
Planix, Inc. <>          Secrets of the Weird <>