Subject: Re: gcc optimizer bug in netbsd-1-6 on alpha (gcc 2.95.3 20010315 (release) (NetBSD nb3))
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/15/2003 14:55:22
>Perhaps. I'll keep an eye on the conference calendar. I'll note that
>my experience in programming languages and compilers is about two
>orders of magnitude deeper than my experience in networking, which is
>at least partly responsible for my bias of making it the compiler's
>problem, and of preferring B&D languages like Ada and CLU, or ML and
>Haskell, to C.

Ack. It could be worse, you could remind me of Tui. (Its not like
I'm a stranger to your world).

Meanwhile, my own experience with both networking and device-drivers
has left me with the conviction that, when dealing with someone else's
hardware and someone else's protocol stack, the ML/Haskell approach is
best buried at a crossroads. Or left to some other grad student's folly.

(Such opinons are often best exchanged over a beer; email information
bandwith leads to misinterpretion if not flames.)

Meanwhile, I wonder what the gcc standards-tossers have to say about
struct sockaddrs and the sockets api...