Subject: Re: gcc optimizer bug in netbsd-1-6 on alpha (gcc 2.95.3 20010315 (release) (NetBSD nb3))
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/15/2003 17:46:48
Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> >The fact that "that way lieth ML" is exactly what makes it a good
> >idea.
>
> Ah. survey courses. I'm not sure there's any further point discussing
> this via email. face-to-face might be interesting and worthwhile, though.

Perhaps. I'll keep an eye on the conference calendar. I'll note that
my experience in programming languages and compilers is about two
orders of magnitude deeper than my experience in networking, which is
at least partly responsible for my bias of making it the compiler's
problem, and of preferring B&D languages like Ada and CLU, or ML and
Haskell, to C.

> And I hope you're speaking for yourself and not actively trying to
> flog NetBSD into an incarnation of that particular dead horse?

I assume that everyone is always only speaking for themselves unless
they make a point of declaring otherwise and citing some basis for
their authority to speak, and I strive to act the same way. So, no, I
am not the Pope. But "kill C and bury it in an unmarked grave at
midnight" is on my pie-in-the-sky wish list.

        - Nathan