Subject: Re: gcc optimizer bug in netbsd-1-6 on alpha (gcc 2.95.3 20010315
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/14/2003 22:40:40
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> It seems I've encountered a bug with the optimizer in GCC on alpha on
> the netbsd-1-6 branch:

> The source in question is from smail...

> Now I know I can work around this by making that inet_ntoa() call into
> what I believe to be the more correct/portable form:
>
> 	inet_ntoa(inet_makeaddr(inet, (unsigned long) 0))
>
> Regardless the compiler shouldn't barf with an internal error.
>
> Is this perhaps a known bug?
>
> Should I do as it says and go via GNU.ORG, or should I send-pr, or both?

The GCC folks only seriously consider bug reports against their own
snapshots and CVS, so technically, it's a NetBSD bug. 2.95.3 is
ancient, and probably not worth the trouble to maintain, however,
especially where there's a known work-around. The interesting question
is, does the bug still exist in 3.3.1? If so, then it seems that you
have analyzed the problem well enough to make a good report directly
to the GCC folks. If it's fixed, on the other hand, then it will
quickly become a moot issue. GCC 3.3.1, the latest release from GCC,
builds out-of-the-box on NetBSD 1.6.1, and will soon be part of
NetBSD-current. It's also packaged in pkgsrc a handful of different
ways, as just one would never do.

Frederick