Subject: Re: different behaviour of system cc and TOOLDIR/cc
To: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/26/2003 14:43:10
On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Matthias Drochner wrote:

: > -rpath is not accepted by "cc", so it requires -Wl prepended.  On the
: > other hand, -R can be passed directly to "cc" (so this is what I'd
: > recommend using, also in <bsd.prog.mk>).
:
: It works with an i386 target.
: With a i386->m68k cross toolchain, the -R is not recognized:

Feh.  I fixed this ages ago (pre-NetBSD-1.4); I wonder when this was broken
again.

: Can you tell me where this is controlled?

gcc/config/netbsd.h:LINK_SPEC is where it should happen; perhaps the m68k
specs are overriding that and forgetting to include "%{R*}".

: Is it worth fixing the compiler, or should we resort to -Wl,-rpath?

-Wl,-Rfoo would be preferred over -Wl,-rpath,foo (-R is more well known
across even non-GNU linkers, and that's what pkgsrc uses for that reason).

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>