Subject: Re: different behaviour of system cc and TOOLDIR/cc
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/09/2003 09:53:02
On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

: > You might also note that it's standard practice for a GCC cross-compiler to
: > look in its ${libsubdir} for the "standard" system goop rather than /usr.
: > This is because a GCC configured to be a cross-compiler deliberately avoids
: > picking up /usr/include and /usr/lib -- as they are nearly always Wrong for
: > a build with that cross-compiler.  The place where the $TOOLDIR-based gcc
: > would find such files automatically, then, would be
: > ${TOOLDIR}/${MACHINE_ARCH}-netbsd/lib (try plonking them in there and see!).
:
: And the includes? When you compile a cross-compiler with
: --with-headers=${DESTDIR}/usr/include, it stuffs them into
: ${TOOLDIR}/${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM}/sys-include. That directory isn't
: in the paths, however, shown by ${TOOLDIR}/bin/gcc -print-search-dirs.

Without --with-headers (and I should hope that src/tools/toolchain hasn't
been modified to put this in the configure args![*]), it will look in
${TOOLDIR}/${MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM}/include (as an analogue to .../lib).

I believe this directory won't show up in -print-search-dirs unless it
exists.

[*] The toolchain created by src/tools/toolchain should NOT have any
    specific ${DESTDIR} compiled into it.  It should be position independent
    to ensure it doesn't pick up strays!

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>