Subject: Re: different behaviour of system cc and TOOLDIR/cc
To: None <>
From: Ben Harris <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/08/2003 23:16:57
In article <> you write:
>On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Matthias Drochner wrote:
>> said:
>> OK, but this is somehow unsatisfying because information
>> is duplicated: The *.mk files have to know which crt* files
>> are to be linked in, in addition to the compiler's specs.
>Yes, they do. I asked once, why the toolchain compiler isn't a fully
>functional cross compiler, and I'm not sure I ever got a satisfactory

One good reason is that the current arrangement gives us DESTDIR-independent
toolchain binaries.  Thus, I don't have to recompile my tools every time I
switch which DESTDIR I'm building to (e.g. to build a different MACHINE
within a MACHINE_ARCH, which I do quite a lot).

Portmaster, NetBSD/acorn26           <URL:>