Subject: Re: Makefile.mbr problem - fix?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/05/2003 23:32:51
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Problem is that it uses sed(1) to strip leading zeroes, and I'm not sure
> that's ok. At least there is no $(SED) macro defined, is it ok to use
> sed(1) in that way? (Thinking about cross builds...)

We only need to make a program a host tool and use $(PROG) if that
program has some NetBSD-specific change or purpose.  The toolchain is
obvious.  Tools like cat and pax have changes that our build process
depends on, whereas rm, grep, and sed we use on "standard" ways.  Note
we already use sed in /usr/share/mk/* now.

If there were a host OS with a sed that couldn't do 's/^0*//' then we'd
need to look at adding it as a host tool.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/