Subject: Re: dynamic linker/loader problem
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Rafal Boni <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/25/2003 16:30:56

In message <>, you write:

-> Hi,
-> OK, I think I tracked down the problem of perl not building properly
-> on my sgimips. Background: I'm seeing a different behavior of the build
-> process on i386 and sgimips. Note that I'm running current on the sgimips.

This sounds like the same lossage that affects tcsh and bash as
well (both of which define their own free/malloc -- the C library ends up
using it's own malloc but then calls the application's free(), leading to
a spew of messages from the shell about invalid blocks being freed.

I can't check right now, but I know there are PR's against for for both
bash and tcsh (though I'm not sure if against port-sgimips, lib/bin or
generic port-mips)

I spent a little time looking at it, but didn't make it very far; at
least digging through the LD_DEBUG output from didn't lead
to an immediate clue -- I think it appeared that some instances of
the symbol were fixed up at invocation time whereas others
were done via lazy fixup and that may have been why some got it right
while others didn't, but I can't remember for sure.

Rafal Boni
 PGP key C7D3024C, print EA49 160D F5E4 C46A 9E91  524E 11E0 7133 C7D3 024C

Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Exmh version 2.4 06/23/2000