Subject: Re: build.sh defaults file
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/06/2003 11:33:48
At Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:23:06 +0000 (UTC), "Perry E. Metzger" wrote:
> "Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com> writes:
> > I hate global configuration files for tools. They're a hidden
> > dependancy on system state, and they tend to bite me when
> > another user uses the system or I want to do a "plain" build.
>
> So don't use them...

I think the point is, you may not know in advance that they're there,
or that somebody just added one, or...

hence my desire, if a global config file is supported at all, to have
an option which unconditionally disables it.  Personally, I'd always
use that option.

Really, I don't think a global "outside the source tree" config file
is a great idea.  If you're that keen on having machine-specific
configuration bits, you could put them in your "in the source tree"
config file, conditionalized based on the machine.  8-)

cgd