Subject: Re: Bi-endian platforms and build.sh
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/10/2002 20:32:11
On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:22:56PM +1100, Simon Burge wrote:

 > I originally had a check for $opt_a, but this doesn't work for the case
 > where we inherit MACHINE_ARCH from the environment so we want to test
 > for non-valid values of MACHINE_ARCH.  The idea was to have:
 >
 > 	mips|sh3|sh5)
 > 		blah blah blah
 >
 > "arm" (that you mention below) does sort of throw a spanner into that
 > idea though.  How can we better handle this?

Just unset MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH at the beginning of the script?  I
mean, is build.sh documented to work by inheriting those from the environment?

(Answer: If it is, it should be changed not to do so :-)

 > `Feh'.  Ok, I'll break it out to
 >
 > 	mipseb)	BUILDID=eb;;
 > 	mipsel)	BUILDID=el;;

Nono... I'm thinking for now you can just go ahead and do:

	case $MACHINE_ARCH in
	# Add MACHINE_ARCH's that need special handling here.

	# And provide a reasonable default for everything else.
	*eb)	BUILDID=eb;;
	*el)	BUILDID=el;;
	esac

...and I'd rename "bi_endian" to "multi_arch" ... because that's
really how we want to think about it.