Subject: to prevent DESTDIR=/ by default ...
To: None <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/08/2002 20:02:29
Due to the various issues that occurred with and DESTDIR=/,
I intend to add a `-E' flag (for "expert mode") to, which will
prevent DESTDIR=/ from working UNLESS you run with that flag.

Why am I doing this?  Because we've had serious problems with
DESTDIR=/ builds, including recently:
     *	c++ constructor changes (so the now-broken host compiler
	can't build a working c++ application)
     *	library moves (e.g, fparseln from libutil to libc)
     *	include file updates
and we have had many users bitten by this, which results in a large
support nightmare for us.

Why aren't I totally removing support for DESTDIR=/ in
Because there are some expert developers & users who can support
themselves in case of lossage that may occur, and are therefore
clueful enough to run with -E.