Subject: Re: tweaks for fparseln(3) move from libutil to libc
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/04/2002 23:50:40
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:38:15AM -0500, Christos Zoulas wrote:
  | |   | Revert all your changes.
  | |   |
  | |   | make includes && cd lib/libc && make && make install
  | |   |
  | |   | Then proceed with your build. Somebody should put this
  | |   | in UPDATING.
  | |
  | | Is that necessary?
  | | (I suppose it might be for DESTDIR=/ builds...)
  |
  | Yes, it is (for DESTDIR=/ builds). And I really don't like the fact that
  | people keep saying "don't do this" about DESTDIR=/ builds. Either officialy
  | don't support it, or make sure that it works by testing it.

It wouldn't faze me if we deprecated support in build.sh for DESTDIR=/
builds; it causes too many support issues due to the "chicken and egg"
issue caused by potential circular dependancies in the tool build process...

People who are cluey enough to deal with the problems with DESTDIR=/
builds can just as easily use "make" in /usr/src anyway ...

(Personally, for most of my builds I just use "build.sh ... -b" to
create nbmake-$MACHINE and use the latter with the top-level Makefile
against the specific targets)

As for the old-style "manual" builds using the top-level Makefile;
that's what UPDATING is for, and I forgot to add an entry for fparseln :(.
I've done that now.