Subject: Re: more bad toolchain build mojo
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 10/31/2002 14:07:58
In message <11030.1036081506@nemeton.com.au>, you write:

->
-> > Whatever the case, a great many tar(1) programs out there do fine with
-> > empty input, and therefore we probably ought to, as well.
->
-> Equally, there are tar programs that don't (e.g. HP-UX) so if the tree
-> is to cross build without pax-as-tar becoming a host program, don't we
-> want to stop this attempt to install files from a non-existent
-> directory?

Just FWIW, the bug is there in a pure GNU gcc environment as well (it's
not one we instroduced, though it may be one we egg on due to the way our
build is set up)...

Also, there are two things that may make things better: (1) there is an
alternate rule that does this using cpio, and (2) there is some note in
the Makefile about over-riding tar options on HPsUX; I'm not sure if that
is a work-around for this problem or not, though...

All this just FYI, as I haven't read the configure stuff that generates
the makefile...

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill