Subject: Re: SymCache performance
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/06/2002 14:37:55
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 01:13:39PM +0000, Charles Hannum wrote:

> So I test the SymCache code a little, and made two observations:
>
> * Although it does reduce many lookups that my `combreloc' code does
>   not currently, it did not actually make a measurable change in
>   mozilla's startup time.  Perhaps it will win more with some other
>   applications.

The bottleneck must be somewhere else.  Maybe either profiling
or timestamping the LD_DEBUG output would be informative.

> * It actually makes David Laight's stupid-program

The best test programs always are :-)

> test run slower for  me.  With it disabled, I get:
>
> mururoa# time /var/tmp/qd 999
>         1.15 real         0.42 user         0.71 sys
>
>   and with it enabled, I get:
>
> mururoa# time /var/tmp/qd 999
>         1.34 real         0.44 user         0.88 sys

Have you got my fix (see kern/18085) for process time counting
installed?
Without it the values reported by 'time' are not reliable.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk