Subject: Re: New ld.elf_so from FreeBSD
To: Charles Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@attbi.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 09/05/2002 13:06:20
In message <20020904193840.G12843@dr-evil.shagadelic.org>, Jason writes:

-> On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 02:24:36AM +0000, Charles Hannum wrote:
->
->  > Unless someone ponies up to make similar improvements to our
->  > ld.elf_so, I will import the FreeBSD version on September 9, and do
->  > the support for a handful of platforms (specifically, x86, Alpha and
->  > PowerPC).  People responsible for other platforms should deal.
->
-> BZZT.  If you're going to do this unilaterally, then you have to
-> make sure it works on all the platforms.  Period.  Either that, or
-> you have to import it into a different directory, and let platforms
-> migrate over as the support code gets written.
->
-> At the very least, giving < 1 week notice is totally unacceptable.

I think a wholesale "all platforms other than x86, Alpha and PPC will
break after 9/9" is *totally* unacceptable, and agree wholeheartedly
that such a change cannot be made without a way for the non-converted
platforms to keep working.

Giving less than a week's notice for everyone to catch up to such a change
is even sillier, IMHO.

However, I do think either a piecemeal intrudoction of the performance-
enhancing bits (as suggested by Bang Jun-Young) could get us a lot of
the niceties without killing off support for a large number of platforms.
If that's found to not be acceptable (for reasons technical or otherwise),
then I think the new code should go on a branch.

--rafal, obviously biased 'cuz I want mips platforms to keep working.

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@attbi.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill