Subject: Re: -nostdlib and NetBSD ELF note
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/22/2002 13:59:09
On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, David Brownlee wrote:

: 	I have a package (cpuburn) which compiles .S files with
: 	-nostdlib.  The resulting files presumably lack the NetBSD
: 	note and are rejected by 1.6 and later. Is there a more
: 	appropriate flag to specify, or a way to get them recognised
: 	as NetBSD binaries?

Um, why does it need -nostdlib?  Is it calling the __syscall stub directly?
(Is it even expecting to do a kernel call at any point!?)

crt0 really only works best in conjunction with libc (and crt0 is also
excluded with -nostdlib), so if you are using -nostdlib on a program, you
need to know Exactly what you're doing.  My guess is that the use of
-nostdlib is incorrect.

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)