Subject: Re: Upgrade from 1.5.x to -current on alpha
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: None <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/19/2002 09:02:56
On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 05:07:29PM -0500, Dave Huang wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Rick Kelly wrote:
> > I've been exclusively using DESTDIR=/ since 1994. Works fine foe me.
>
> "Me too!" (well, maybe not since 1994, but since NetBSD 0.9, whenever
> that was) It seems like people are focusing too much on whether
> DESTDIR=/ is a good idea or not, and less on the original problem...
> which is: Why did installing a new libc cause old binaries to core dump?
> That is definitely _not_ expected behavior, despite some claims to the
> contrary.

FYI: Same thing on Alpha 1.5.2 -> 1.6F. I decided to do a wild DESTDIR on /
and ended up with a screwed up libc, crt0 and had everything dumping core.
Untarred 1.5.2 distribution sets on top of that mess and had a system which
almost worked but crashed on linker problems during a new build of the
toolchain.

This wasn't a big deal as I was just experimenting and after a fresh 1.5.2
install and a DESTDIR != / build I'm happily running 1.6F + Xfree 4.1.

I'm a happy camper now.
--
jht