Subject: Re: Upgrade from 1.5.x to -current on alpha
To: Greywolf <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 08/17/2002 04:42:00

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 07:26:57PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> If DESTDIR=3D/ is that broke, it shouldn't be permitted at all.
> I *avoid* DESTDIR=3D/ just out of common sense (that and I've been bit
> by crt0.o blowing up all subsequent compilations when I do that), but
> it should not just fail, I don't think.  If it does fail, why do we
> permit it?

well, one can argue why do we permit rm -rf / then?

DESTDIR is set to / because it has no better default value, imo.  i'd
prefer if needed some special switch to accept it and print
warning if it's not set and DESTDIR still points to / (..or find better
default value but i don't have an idea what should it be) and don't let
users destroy their systems with e.g. failing -current unless they
explicitly ask for it.

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
--                  <>   e-mail in gratuitous HTML and  \ /=
--                                       Microsoft proprietary formats   X =
-- PGPkey:                                  / \=
-- Key Fingerprint: 75B2 2B96 CD75 0385 1C49  39B8 8B08 C30E 54BC 7263     =

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (NetBSD)