Subject: Re: UPDATED DRAFT -- Toolchain upgrade plan
To: Ian Dall <ian@beware.dropbear.id.au>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 06/07/2002 08:57:58
On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 01:21:49AM +0930, Ian Dall wrote:

 > What is missing is PIC/ELF support. My feeling is we may as well go to
 > ELF rather than try and add PIC support for the a.out version. I'm
 > happy to continue to look after gcc, but I'm not sure that I have the
 > time to do the ELF support, especially as I would have to come up to
 > speed on ELF.

Simon and I can probably help you, here.  I think we'd want to start
with Matt Thomas's elf32-vax BFD back-end.  GCC shouldn't need anything
special for ns32k ELF (just register name prefixes, and other small
configuration tweaks).  We should strive to put all the magic into the
link phase, as was done with elf32-vax.