Subject: Re: Suggested addition to build.sh
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/17/2002 12:13:45
On Fri, 17 May 2002, David Brownlee wrote:

: > : That would be nice. While we're wishing, I'd really like to see a
: > : top-level target to build a bootable sysinstall kernel with the
: > : ramdisk and everything.
: >
: > Unfortunately, the distrib directories are nowhere near uniform across
: > platforms, so "where should it go build?".  Doubly so, it needs an include
: > and lib populated $DESTDIR in order to work correctly.
:
: 	It could build 'instkernel' if present, or fail out if not.
: 	In an ideal world every port should have that target.

Too  much diversity in distrib/.  Look for yourself.

: 	Any such target would run the 'make includes' and 'make && make
: 	install' in lib as necessary. Possible force -D usage with it.

I'd like to draw the line here.

The point of build.sh is to provide a jumping-off point for building *the
tree*.  I was rather irked by some of the specializations, but accepted
them as useful under the purpose of build.sh.  This doesn't really fall
under that.

Sure, build.sh could be made to build a kernel or the toolchain, but once
you enter userland or distrib, it's *up to you* to build what you want.
build.sh is already too confusing and I really don't want to add to that.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/