Subject: Re: Suggested addition to build.sh
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 05/17/2002 10:39:59
On Fri, 17 May 2002, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:
> > Basically, to build a kernel as part of upgrading to -current by source:
> >
> > ./build.sh -t [-T $TOOLDIR]
> > cd sys/arch/$MACHINE/conf
> > $TOOLDIR/bin/nbconfig $KERNCONFNAME
> > cd ../$KERNCONFNAME
> > $TOOLDIR/bin/nbmake-$MACHINE all
[...]
> 	I have a trivial shell script that pretty much does the above, but
> 	I think for someone new to NetBSD having to remember (or even
> 	be able to find) the above commands makes it harder than it needs
> 	to be to update a kernel.
>
> 	It would be much nicer to be able to tell them to run
> 	'./build.sh -K FUBAR', which run the above, then displays:
> 		"The FUBAR kernel is now in \
> 			../sys/arch/$MACHINE/compile/$KERNCONFNAME/netbsd"

That would be nice. While we're wishing, I'd really like to see a
top-level target to build a bootable sysinstall kernel with the
ramdisk and everything. Some of the bugs in sysinstall might actually
get fixed if people could build it, to test, without having to build
a full release. Of course I realize it can't perform it's main mission
without a matching release to install, but it would still be nice to
be able to boot it and play around with the other functions, install
an older release, or whatever.

Frederick