Subject: re: In-tree compiler version
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/29/2002 18:35:20
   Maybe I have the wrong impression but to me it looks like the 2.95.3 compiler
   in-tree now isn't realy up to it's task.

    - sparc64, sh*, arm (others?) are heavily backporting fixes from 3.1 or
      -current to make the compiler useable (which didn't work even for
      base system stuff for arm yet)

this happened for egcs 1.1.2, and would happen if we switched to 3.0 or
3.1 code base.  this is how compilers are.

    - the AMD 64 bit stuff isn't supported

... which is like sparc64 for the old compiler.  this is also how new
hardware & compilers will be.

   Are there any plans to base the in-tree version on something modern any time
   soon?

we should definately look into this when GCC 3.1 stabilises.  this
actually should be less hard than many previous updates as lots more
netbsd platforms are supported by default.  we should also upgrade
binutils to 2.12 soon.

.mrg.