Subject: Re: Problems with cross-building release i386 -> hp300
To: Jarle Greipsland <jarle@uninett.no>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 04/13/2002 18:56:21
> I've just tried to cross build myself a NetBSD/hp300 snapshot on
> a NetBSD/i386 1.5.3-ish system.  I've managed to get the snapshot
> built, and have tried to install it on one of our systems.  The
> SYS_INST installation program loads and boots OK across the
> network.  Disk partitioning also worked OK AFAICT.  SYS_INST
> loads the miniroot.fs, and the kernel boots out of the miniroot
> as well.  However, most programs being run out of the miniroot
> image fail with signal "Illegal instruction".
>
> Has anybody else seen this?  Is there something amiss with
> regards to cross building from the i386 to m68k platform?  Other
> toolchain issues?

Great to see that you were successful to get everything to build!

I can cross-build with the same configuration you have specified
and generate successful installs on a 340.  But it isn't a 68040.

I don't know whether NetBSD/hp300 has been tested on a '40 recently.
Given that the new toolchain work was done on mvme68k, I suspect
a pmap problem in NetBSD/hp300 rather than a toolchain issue.

From here, the best way to resolve this problem is to run diskless
with a custom kernel.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>