Subject: Re: Distinguish between MKfoo and SUPPORT_foo
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/20/2002 21:32:25
>What I did was split these two things apart.  I now have:

>	* MKHESIOD, MKKERBEROS, MKSKEY, MKYP -- Controls whether or
>	  not to build the libraries, support programs, etc.

>	* SUPPORT_HESIOD, SUPPORT_KERBEROS, SUPPORT_SKEY,
>	  SUPPORT_YP -- Controls whether or not users of these
>	  facilities use them or not.

Not an objection, but a question.  Why not USE_HESIOD etc?
To me MKfoo says build foo,  SUPPORT_foo might mean actually provide
an implementation of foo - rather than just stubs to satisfy an api.
But a client's makefile wants to USE_foo

Regardless of the names used the functionality sounds handy.

Thanks
--sjg