Subject: Re: "-Ldir -lname" vs. "dir/libname.so"
To: Johnny Lam <jlam@jgrind.org>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/19/2002 08:15:23
On Monday 18 March 2002 9:42 pm, Johnny Lam wrote:
> I'm going to try to reformulate with a simpler example to try to make
> clearer what I perceive to be the problem.  The following example is
> distilled from something I received in private email regarding problems
> with packages having hidden dependencies on devel/gettext-lib.

OK. There are two problems here.

The solution to the first problem, I still believe, is as simple as
introducing -L/buildlink/lib before the libbase.la option to libtool.
Although I'm not completely sure that won't introduce some unwanted side
effects.

The second problem is much harder as it affects all a.out linking for
libraries with uninstalled dependencies. That is, anything that gets relinked
by libtool. In this case hardcode_direct=yes is probably the wrong for a.out,
but that opens a whole can of worms. Let me get back to you.

Nick