Subject: Re: "-Ldir -lname" vs. "dir/"
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/13/2002 17:17:42
On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Jonathan Stone wrote:

: I assume you're not acutally linking two digits of ELF version number
: into the final binary? ELF version numbers are hard-bound: link
: against, upgrade to, remove,
: and then the linked binary fails to find

Not true in the presence of -soname.  If -soname is set, that is the name
that will be used when searching at runtime (even if a .major.minor is
completely specified at link time).

All our libraries, and those made by libtool, properly use -soname now (but
they didn't at first...).

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --