Subject: Re: alloca and libc
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/11/2002 18:50:25
AHi,

> > This means on say powerpc machines libc doesn't have alloca which makes some
> > package ports "interesting" when configure/etc go looking for alloca.
> >
> > Is there any reason to leave these?
> >
> Yes for sure. You may end up compiling with another compiler than gcc,
> especially userspace, or you may not want to use the builtins, or so.
> I would rather say that powerpc should have an alloca written.

Hmm, I don't think that I'd buy that.

For me, alloca is just tied too much to the compiler anyway.
I.e., you'll probably end up writing a new alloca for your highly
optimizing compiler anyway (which may e.g. not even use a frame
pointer?).

So as long as we use gcc (on the powerpc), I don't see a need for
writing a separate alloca (and we did get away without it for just
some time, didn't we?)

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--