Subject: Re: RCS _and_ CVS (was: Removing compat/aout)
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jed Davis <jldavis+netbsdlist@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/10/2002 19:00:21
woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:

> [ On Friday, March 8, 2002 at 20:38:49 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> > Subject: re: Removing compat/aout
> >
> >  Besides, we don't use
> > RCS in any of our source tree; CVS is there.  RCS should be ejected with
> > extreme prejudice (to catch a phrase)....
>
> No CVS administrator should ever even try to contemplate life without a
> working copy of the RCS programs very close at hand.

Also, RCS is quite useful for those times when one just wants to keep
revision history on a single config file or similar, without having to
go through the overhead of setting up a CVS repo, importing, etc.

> CVS is merely a front end to RCS (albiet with an interalised and
> separately derived implementation of RCS file access routines), and
> there are several administrative tasks it cannot do well but which
> the RCS programs are more easily capable of doing.

Also, ident(1) is a nice utility to have around.

--Jed

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."