Subject: Re: Build identifier variable for obj dirs
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/05/2002 14:17:58
On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 04:48:31PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

 > So are you implying that you really do keep your objects in the same
 > place as your sources?  If so, why?

It really depends on what I'm doing.  Keeping objdirs "near" sources
is handy when doing development, so that you don't have to cd to radically
different places to look at the sources in one window and the binary with
gdb in another.

Note, I generally use symlinks ... obj.i386 -> /u1/netbsd/obj/bin/cat.i386,
etc. ... but I like being able to "cd bin/cat; gdb obj.i386/cat".

 > I hope you don't try to use BSDOBJDIR and OBJMACHINE together!

Why not?  It works fine.  I generally point BSDOBJDIR at a file system
that I want the .o files on, and then use OBJMACHINE to keep the .o's
for all my different arch builds separate.