Subject: Re: Build identifier variable for obj dirs
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/05/2002 16:36:09
[ On Tuesday, March 5, 2002 at 16:16:58 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Build identifier variable for obj dirs
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> : > The following patch adds a BUILDID variable to the build system
> : > which can be used to, you guessed it, identify specific builds.
> : >
> : > Mostly, it affects the objdir name, such that you end up with
> : > objdir names like "obj.${MACHINE}.${BUILDID}".
> :
> : Hmmm....  a weird hack on top of a bad hack.  Does that make it anything
> : more than another bad hack?  Why do you want multiple objdir names?
> Multiple builds with different characteristics.

I'm not talking about the need for this feature -- but rather its

This incarnation of BUILDID seems even more broken in design than OBJMACHINE.

Can we not find one good way to do this kind of thing instead of a
million bad hacks that inevitably seem to lead people down a path to
something not quite as sweet smelling as they hoped they would find?

A "USR_OBJBUILDID" setting, if implemented like USR_OBJMACHINE, seems
like it would be a much more logical and coherent way to add such

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <>;  <>;  <>