Subject: Re: Build identifier variable for obj dirs
To: NetBSD Toolchain Technical Discussion List <tech-toolchain@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/05/2002 16:36:09
[ On Tuesday, March 5, 2002 at 16:16:58 (-0500), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Build identifier variable for obj dirs
>
> On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> : > The following patch adds a BUILDID variable to the build system
> : > which can be used to, you guessed it, identify specific builds.
> : >
> : > Mostly, it affects the objdir name, such that you end up with
> : > objdir names like "obj.${MACHINE}.${BUILDID}".
> :
> : Hmmm....  a weird hack on top of a bad hack.  Does that make it anything
> : more than another bad hack?  Why do you want multiple objdir names?
>
> Multiple builds with different characteristics.

I'm not talking about the need for this feature -- but rather its
implementation.

This incarnation of BUILDID seems even more broken in design than OBJMACHINE.

Can we not find one good way to do this kind of thing instead of a
million bad hacks that inevitably seem to lead people down a path to
something not quite as sweet smelling as they hoped they would find?

A "USR_OBJBUILDID" setting, if implemented like USR_OBJMACHINE, seems
like it would be a much more logical and coherent way to add such
functionality.

--
								Greg A. Woods