Subject: Re: how to use
To: Joseph Sarkes <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 03/01/2002 22:37:05
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

: My question now, is a matter of precedence, what
: overrides what. I have the possibility of entering
: parameters on the command line of ./, in
: the environment of the shell executing ./,
: or /etc/mk.conf.
: It looks to me that ./ just sets up a script
: in the tooldir/bin/nbmake-machine_arch that sets up
: some environment strings and exports them. If you have
: stuff in /etc/mk.conf it seems to override the
: ./ parameters, which is counter intuitive to
: in my mind.

There's been debate about this before, but not a lot of clear direction.  I
tend to agree that may be best explicitly overriding mk.conf,
rather than letting mk.conf override.  This is something I might change in
the near future (but will require a pretty loud "HEADS UP" in case anyone
has come to depend on the current scheme).

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --