Subject: Re: __STDC__ usage...
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/20/2002 15:11:26
[ On Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 20:35:15 (+0100), Anders Magnusson wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: __STDC__ usage...
>
> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 05:59:36PM +0100, Anders Magnusson wrote:
> >
> >  > It wasn't especially difficult to add basic ansi support to pcc either,
> >  > I assume it can be a quite nice compiler after getting it up-to-date.
> >
> > Well, nice in that it's extremely simple ... but I seem to recall that
> > PCC generated pretty bad code.
> >
> Bad compared to modern compilers, yes, but not especially bad compared
> to how compilers worked back then. The largest problem here is that it
> couldn't use registers as it wanted to.

Hold on a minute here -- are you talking about PCC, or Ritchie's PDP-11
compiler?

BTW, will the preprocessor from LCC work for you?  It may be small
enough to fit into any split I&D PDP-11 since on i386 it's only:

	$ size /usr/pkg/libexec/cpp
	text    data    bss     dec     hex     filename
	28823   2492    44216   75531   1270b   /usr/pkg/libexec/cpp

(I haven't yet tried it with all of NetBSD's user-space headers though! :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods