Subject: Re: libtool problem with runtime shlib path propagation
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/15/2002 07:56:43
On Thursday 14 February 2002 11:20 am, Matthias Drochner wrote:
> skrll@netbsd.org said:
> > Are you sure that the libtool -R option isn't good enough here? -R is
> > converted by libtool to the correct options for the linker used.
>
> -R would be good enough probably - for libtool.
> The problem is that it doesn't work with non-libtool
> linker calls. Many Makefile patches simply substitute eg
> "${CC}" by "${LIBTOOL} --mode=link ${CC}". And the gnome-
> style config scripts mentioned should work whether libtool
> is used or not.

I think I understand your problem better now.

What is the interaction between libtool and gnome-style config scripts? I've
seen discussion on this in the past on the libtool ML, but as I don't use
gnome I didn't pay any attention.

> > -Wl,-R is a hack if you ask me.
>
> Well, may be. But it is used everywhere in the pkg system:
> passed as environment to "configure" scripts, in the "gnome"
> scripts and in 1000 patches.
> This and some variations like "-Wl,-rpath -Wl,<path>", and
> maybe something involving "-Xlinker".

I should have said -Wl,-R is a hack for pkgs that use libtool. Obviously for
non-libtool pkg -R is not an option.

Nick