Subject: Re: Proposed improvements to toolchain2netbsd and config.guess
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/14/2002 07:15:36
On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 09:04:44AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

 > Where is value to "--host" supposed to come from? To try to get it from
 > bsd.own.mk is really awkward (see my broken submission to PR 15514); it
 > would be easier to simply elide the vendor and version number in
 > toolchain2netbsd directly.

The script could certainly call config.guess first, and then apply
some sed construct to it to edit out the parts that it doesn't need:

yeah-baby:thorpej 4$ ./config.guess
i386-unknown-netbsdelf1.5ZA
yeah-baby:thorpej 5$

 > I see. Then "pkgsrc" on current is really messed up:
 >
 > root@deduction-> uname -smr
 > NetBSD 1.5ZA mac68k
 > root@deduction-> pwd
 > /s/pkgsrc/www/arena
 > root@deduction-> make show-var VARNAME=MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM
 > m68k--netbsdelf

Why is that really messed up?  m68k--netbsdelf will certainly match
*-*-netbsd* in a configure script, so there's no problem.

 > The a.out build, on ports that haven't switched yet, doesn't use any of
 > the same files? Won't matter soon, hopefully.

No, a.out builds do not use any of the new toolchain files.