Subject: Re: rpcgen fix for -fshort-enums
To: Todd Vierling <>
From: Richard Earnshaw <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/05/2002 16:25:02
> The revisions you site are simple fixed-size type fixups.  They aren't on
> the scale of hackery required to work around the -fshort-enums braindamage.

Oh come on.  Grow up.  -fshort-enums is a perfectly legitimate
implementation of enums, just like using 64-bits for a long is perfectly
legitimate.  If code isn't written portably then it's going to have to be
fixed when it is ported.  That's a fact of life.  You can't define the
problem away by just pretending it isn't there.

PS. I've a better idea, lets make ia-64, alpha and sparcv9 use 32-bit
longs.  After all, everyone knows a long is just 32 bits...