Subject: Status of Binutils 2.12 for NetBSD targets
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 02/03/2002 13:04:36
Folks...

This is an FYI about the state of Binutils-current (which will branch
for 2.12 soon).

I'm pleased to report that, with the exception of one simple change for
the 68010 (which I hope will be approved in the next day or two), the
master Binutils sources has support for all current NetBSD ELF targets[*],
(including hppa-netbsd).  It also supports an ia64-netbsd target.

Also, various other changes to e.g. gprof(1), size(1), etc. that we have
maintained in our local copy have also been committed to the master
Binutils sources.

The upshot of all of this is that we should be able to upgrade our
in-tree Binutils to 2.12 without maintaining the kinds of local changes
we've had to maintain in the past.  This will also make future upgrades
a LOT easier.

[*] Actually, vax-netbsdelf is will not be in 2.12, because Matt Thomas
has not filed copyright assignment papers with the FSF for his changes
to the VAX assembler/linker to support that target.  His code will also
have to be upgraded for changes that have occurred in Binutils since he
started the work.