Subject: Re: What optimization causes this?
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 01/16/2002 09:10:05
On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:30:16AM -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:

> >I'm trying to get a package for neXtaw together. I've gotten to the
> >point where it begins to compile, proceeds for a while, and then
> >blows up like so:
>
> >Scrollbar.c: In function `RepeatNotify':
> >Scrollbar.c:1004: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
> >Scrollbar.c: In function `NotifyScroll':
> >Scrollbar.c:1050: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
>
> Some warnings can only be done when using the optimizer.
> Which is probably why you don't see this when using -O0 or no -O.

I hope a cast to a pointer larger than the source variable doesn't require
the optimizer to be enabled.

The real problem, which is edited out above, is this:
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common/../../../dist/gcc/function.c:2392: Internal
+compiler error in function fixup_memory_subreg

"Nonbelievers found it difficult to defend their position in \
    the presense of a working computer." -- a DEC Jensen paper