Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/03/2001 11:38:08
On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:21:07AM +1100, matthew green wrote:
> but it's what people have been doing ~forever.  never before has being
> under `/usr/src' been a problem for any foreign sources... but now we're
> trying to use too much magic.
>
> perhaps have an explicit list of subdirectories that the tools will be
> used for, not *everything* under src?  ie, the same list of SUBDIRS
> from src/Makefile.

After following this thread for a while, I concur with Matt Green &
Robert Elz (et al).  Matt's suggestion above (only use the tools for
specific subdirs) is the correct approach in my opinion.

Until the new toolchain, there was no enforcement that directories
under /usr/src were only those used by /usr/src/Makefile, and nor do I
recall any policy that stated this.

As a related point, we don't even ship all of /usr/src as one cvs module,
as it's comprised of multiple; "basesrc", "syssrc", "gnusrc", "sharesrc", ...
I can understand why people want to put their "xsrc" and "pkgsrc"
stuff under there too.

So, lets work out an efficient method of determining whether a given
/usr/src/ component is enabled for USETOOLS=yes, and use that.

Luke.