Subject: Re: Building a snapshot and awk
To: James Chacon <>
From: Jed Davis <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 12/02/2001 00:17:07
James Chacon <> writes:

> The problem is awk does a lot of double -> int conversion internally and
> those pass through libgcc routines to do the actual conversions. Some of
> these promote to quad math first at which point we'll lose.

For what it's worth, PR 14101 is partially wrong on this: it claims
that even with -msoft-quad-float enabled, double -> size_t casts are
broken, but I can't reproduce the brokenness (that is, it works
correctly for me) with the sparc64 2001082# snapshot.

#!/usr/bin/perl -- ## "But life wasn't yes-no, on-off.  Life was shades of gray,
sub f{(($n,$d,@_)=@_)?(substr(## and rainbows not in the order of the spectrum."
" ExhortJavelinBus",$n&&$d/$n,1),$n?f($d##   -- L. E. Modesitt, Jr., _Adiamante_
%$n,$n,@_):&f):("\n")}print f 1461,10324,55001,444162,1208,1341,5660480,79715997