Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/30/2001 23:14:19
    Date:        Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:52:11 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
    From:        Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>

  | This methodology is new, but the concept of "don't litter a tree with alien
  | sources" is common to all software projects with which I am familiar.

Turns out that it also most probably isn't just alien sources ...

fuchsia$ cd /usr/src/usr.bin/find
fuchsia$ make
/usr/src/tools/tools.NetBSD-1.5Y-i386/bin/i386--netbsdelf-gcc -O2  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -Werror   -I/usr/src/usr.bin/find/../../bin/ls   -nostdinc -idirafter /usr/include -c find.c
make: Exec of `/usr/src/tools/tools.NetBSD-1.5Y-i386/bin/i386--netbsdelf-gcc' failed (No such file or directory)
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src/usr.bin/find

That is, I have this virgin /usr/src (well, it does have pkgsrc "corrupting"
it, and some more, but that isn't relevant at all here), aside from the kernel
I haven't compiled a thing from the standard NetBSD source tree before since
this system was installed (on a new drive, after its previous one died).

I want to compile just "find" (you'll see why if you read another PR that
I will submit in a few mins, but because I'm off line at the minute, might
actually get sent to the lists before this message.  It hasn't been sent yet,
so  I don't know its number, it isn't important for the purpose of this
mail however.  The compile above was done using virgin sources, before I
installed my changes).   NetBSD sources (and the mk system) are still as
they were when I installed them, last weekend (ie: your recent fix is not
installed yet).

I think that being able to simply cd to a random source directory, and
run "make" is something that should work .. and brings me back to the
suggestion I made in the first message I sent on this topic:  It seems
totally insane to select a compiler to use, when that compiler doesn't
exist.   It can't be too hard to test - the path to where the compiler would
be placed is known.   If there is no file of that name, then surely the
regular installed compiler should just be used?

There are no new toolchain related entries in mk.conf at all, apart
from MASTER_SITE type stuff, and ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES it has ...

USE_RSAREF2=NO
UVM=1
FAILOVER_FETCH= yes
DOMAIN_NAME=cs.mu.OZ.AU