Subject: Re: tools build on ELF mac68k
To: Aymeric Vincent <xmimic@free.fr>
From: Steve Woodford <steve@mctavish.co.uk>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/30/2001 09:35:08
On 30 Nov 2001, Aymeric Vincent wrote:

> On Nov, 11th, I did a full ELF build for the amiga port. I just had to
> tweak a couple of makefiles in order to avoid descending into gdb and
> the amiga bootblocks stuff.

Are you sure this was using the new toolchain? The old toolchain works
works fine on m68k ELF for those platforms which have made The Switch.

What was the problem with gdb?

> Of course I had changed bsd.own.mk to "switch amiga to ELF".

Presumably the only thing holding up Amiga officially switching is
bootblocks...

As for the New Toolchain on m68k, there are two problems preventing it
going live:

1) The compiler mis-optimises with -fstrength-reduce enabled (which is the
default for -O2). I've asked Mycroft to look into this, but anyone with
cc1 clue is welcome to track down the cause. Hint: It also seems to affect
Vax and, on both platforms, causes cc1 to SEGV when compiling
sys/dev/scsipi/ch.c ...

2) gas(1) is much fussier about references to global symbols within
assembler source. A couple of kernel .S files trip over this. It's not
really a gas(1) bug; more a case of adhering more closely to ELF
requirements. The offending assembly source will be fixed in due course.

Any other problems are due to minor bit-rot since I've not built New
Toolchain on m68k for a month or so.

Cheers, Steve