Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/28/2001 11:41:22
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:

: > : > Probably the better check is just to not set it if BSD_PKG_MK is set. The
: > : > presumption is that things within /usr/src are using the /usr/src build
: > : > structure.
: > :
: > : Except that that seems to be broken in pgksrc presently. To whit...
: >
: > I'm not exactly sure why you're getting this behavior, but as a sanity
: > check: do you happen to have "pkgsrc" [improperly] located under "src"?

: pkgsrc can go anywhere in your source directory structure, and you
: can have multiple instances of it anywhere you like. Please don't
: impose extra restrictions (which have never been in place before).
: If the new toolchain can't handle this, the new toolchain needs to
: be fixed.

pkgsrc can go anywhere you like; it's the "src" tree that has restrictions.
As I said before, it's not unreasonable to expect anything residing
underneath "src" to be compiled with the same methodology as the rest of the
NetBSD base system source tree.

pkgsrc is *NOT* a component of "src" and should not reside under "src".
This is not an articfact of the new toolchain -- it's just something that
people have lucked out on in the past.  I've specifically never put "pkgsrc"
under "src" because I knew from the start that is would be a _broken_ setup
if done that way.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/