Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/28/2001 11:14:44
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

: That is, I have pkgsrc under /usr/src.

I don't think it is unreasonable to assume that anything under src/ will be
treated as part of the NetBSD source tree and built with the same
methodology.  That said, you shouldn't have pkgsrc under src.  (It isn't
that way in the CVS repository because pkgsrc is not a component of src.)

: ps: moving pkgsrc from /usr/src/pkgsrc to /usr/pkgsrc (which I know that
: some people use) makes no sense for me, I have /usr ro, and just the right
: size for a /usr partition (plus a little for growth in to the future).
: All sources belong in /usr/src (xsrc as well).

xsrc does not belong in src either.  It's not a component of src, because it
does not build the same way.

My suggestion is to use a symlink layout, such as the following (a
simplified version of my setup):

/usr/SRC/src -> "src" tree
/usr/SRC/pkgsrc -> "pkgsrc" tree
/usr/SRC/xsrc -> "xsrc" tree
/usr/src -> symlink to SRC/src (optional)
/usr/pkgsrc -> symlink to SRC/pkgsrc (optional)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/