Subject: Re: Toolchain Update (27-Nov-2001)
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/27/2001 20:29:55
>Easy to get around by setting USETOOLS=no (or one of those with a similar
>effect, I forget which I used, and I'm not near that system at the minute),
>but it would probably be a good idea if as well as testing whether
>build.sh exists, and the tools dir exists, a check was also made that the
>tools have actually been built, before just blindly attempting to use them.

There's problems with that since the vars in question get set while you're
building the tools as well..

Probably the better check is just to not set it if BSD_PKG_MK is set. The
presumption is that things within /usr/src are using the /usr/src build
structure.

>The sources I used came from early in the weekend (US time, early Sat).
>It is possible something has been changed since then, though I haven't seen
>any commits that look relevant.
>
>kre
>
>ps: moving pkgsrc from /usr/src/pkgsrc to /usr/pkgsrc (which I know that
>some people use) makes no sense for me, I have /usr ro, and just the right
>size for a /usr partition (plus a little for growth in to the future).
>All sources belong in /usr/src (xsrc as well).

That may be, but the documentation for pkgsrc does clearly state that
everything defaults to /usr/pkgsrc by design. Not saying it's right/wrong
just noting that the assumption was mostly documented.

James