Subject: Re: nbmake size and path issue
To: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
From: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/26/2001 03:56:04

>Two observations with the toolchain:
>
>1) nbmake seems to get quite fat, running at about 29MB on i386

Huh?

I see this:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  150666 Nov 26 06:24 nbmake

Now..That's non-stripped but stripping it brings it down to 130k or so.

In any case, 150k != 29M that I can tell. Are you sure you're looking in
the right place?

>2) compiling with '.' or '::' in your path will cause the host tools
>   (toolchain) to fail, since the host gcc invokes the cross-gas in
>   the object directory as the host assembler.

Only if it's at the front of your path or before your system dirs (ala
/usr/bin, /bin, etc). That's gonna break much much more than just your
toolchain build long run. If you have . at the end (still not a good idea
in general) then everything builds fine (which I just tested).

James