Subject: Re: two more bugs perry doesn't want to admit exists
To: None <>
From: Dieter Baron <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/24/2001 02:49:53
Darren Reed wrote:
> #1.
> using UNPRIVED=1 in /etc/mk.conf results in this with a r-o src, despite
> setting all the directory flags with
> nbinstall: open /data3/netbsd/src/METALOG: Read-only file system
> (perry doesn't think this is a problem...and insists that I'm not using
>  a "root objdir")

  The problem occurs if obj root directory ( -O option)
doesn't exist prior to starting, because $_SRC_TOP_OBJ_ is
set in before running objdir (thus before it would be
created) via ${PRINTOBJDIR} in $_SRC_TOP_ (the top of the source
tree).  The value thus set is retained throughout the build.

  I see three solutions:

  1) The requirement that the top of the obj root directory (
-O option) exists prior to running should be documented,

  2) ensures it's existance, or

  3) the logic in is changed.