Subject: Buildling without /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc breaks
To: None <tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/22/2001 03:00:18
Hi!

Currently, building without /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc doesn't work,
since 4 Makefiles in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/ set TMACDIR to
/usr/share/tmac before including bsd.man.mk (via bsd.prog.mk), where
it would be set to ${TOOLDIR}/share/groff/tmac. (bsd.man.mk has
TMACDIR?= somevalue, depending on new-toolchain or not.)

If you don't have /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc, then the build breaks in
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/mm in the 'make dependall' step when trying
to generate groff_mm.cat7 and groff_mmse.cat7 (there's 3 other
Makefiles in groff where it would break too), because of the CATDEPS
set in bsd.man.mk.

If we remove the setting of TMACDIR in the Makefiles in the groff
hierarchy, making the man pages works fine, but installation later
fails e.g. in groff/mm for 0.MT, since it wants to install to the
${TOOLDIR}/share/groff/tmac/mm dir, which doesn't exist (and
which would be the wrong place anyway for the files, since they should
be in the destination dir).

I'm kind of stumped how to fix this, so I just report it for now.
If you need more details on any of this, I have the build log
available, but you should be able to reproduce with
	rm /usr/share/tmac/tmac.andoc
	cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/mm
	make dependall

Bye,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.tuwien.ac.at
Language is not neutral. It is not merely a vehicle which carries ideas. It