Subject: Re: Autoconf for toolchain "replacement library"?
To: James Chacon <jchacon@genuity.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/13/2001 13:36:03
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, James Chacon wrote:

> Well...No one said this is an optimal solution...
>
> You can't go halfway. Having something which requires a regen in the tree
> without also providing the tools to do the regen is just insane.

No, it is something we do on occasion. Yes, it'd be nice to not need tools
outside the base tree, but this looks like a good place to use non-tree
tools.

As I understand it, we will have an in-tree generated configure script, so
you only need tools if you change configure.in. So not everyone needs it
(this would be a sucky option if everyone needed autoconf). So we are
only impacting a small group of folks.

Also, the tool which will be needed is part of pkgsrc, so it is a tool
under our control. :-)

There are other examples of places where we check into the tree the output
of tools not in the tree. Check out src/libexec/ld.aout_so on i386 or
sparc elf for example. :-)

Take care,

Bill