Subject: Re: Autoconf for toolchain "replacement library"?
To: Jason R Thorpe <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-toolchain
Date: 11/13/2001 15:30:48
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

:  > i.e. if we go this way (which sounds fine), then import autoconf into
:  > gnu/usr.bin so the tools for updating the source tree are available to
:  > everyone by default.

: Two problems:
: 	(1) Then we also need GNU m4.

...and *perl*.

: 	(2) Autoconf versionitis.

Right, and this is the one (and only :) concern I have for doing this with
autoconf not in-tree.

My take is that if we put the responsibility of maintaining configure{,.in}
on those who cross-host (and not on all developers as a whole), not having
autoconf in-tree is OK.  If the "configure" script starts to lag, thenthose
of us who have an interest in maintaining it will do so.  8-)

To make sure there isn't versionitis, we could simply document what version
of autoconf is required; there's even an autoconf rquired version macro to
do this.

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --